Are you a fan of Curd Rice? Then this blog is for you! Curd rice is not just delicious but really good for your stomach and digestion as well!
Curd rice go by many names, In South India, it is also called Thalicha Thayir Sadam! Let’s look at a few Spicy Curd Rice recipes!
For the main dish:
- rice -1 cup
- Onion -1, big
- Cucumber -1/2, peeled and grated
- Fresh curd- 3 cups
- Salt to taste
For the seasoning:
- Ginger – 1 small piece
- Curry leaves 4-6
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Channa dal- 1 tsp
- Green chillies 3-4
- Wash the rice well and pressure cook with 1 cup water. Cook on high until the first whistle, then simmer and allow 1 more whistle.
- Now take out the cooked rice and let it cool.
- Then mix the onion and the cucumber to it and keep aside.
- For the garnishing:
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter the mustard seeds, channa dal, curry leaves, add the ginger and the green chillies and keep aside.
- Now mix the yogurt in the rice and add salt to taste.
- Add the garnishing and stir well.
- 1 cup un-cooked rice (polished/white/brown/basmati as per choice)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup yoghurt/curd
- 1/2 cup milk – optional. Can also use water. You can also use coconut milk for the flavour.
- 1/4 cup bell peppers – chopped into small chunks
- 1/4 cup carrots – grated
- 1 spring onion – chopped. Can also use 1 medium red/white onion
- 1 inch ginger – grated
- 1 medium green chilli – finely chopped
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1-2 whole dried red chillies
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 tsp fried/roasted peanuts / chana dal – Optional
- 1/4 Avocado, roughly chopped – Optional
- sprig of fresh coriander for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli powder to taste
- 2 tsp oil
- Take 2 cups cooked rice or boil the uncooked rice in 2 cups of water. Once the rice is made, let is cool down.
- In a bowl, mix the yoghurt/curd and milk/coconut milk. To this, add salt (enough for yoghurt and rice). Mix it in the rice well. Leave it for 15 minutes.
- Now, using a masher, mash the yoghurt mixed rice roughly.
- Now take a pan and put to heat. Add the oil. When the oil is hot, add in the asafoetida, mustard seeds and curry leaves. Let the mustard splitter.
- Add the whole dried red chillies and the onion/spring onion and fry for about 2 minutes or till the onions are transparent.
- Now add in the green chilli, ginger, carrot, bell pepper and saute on medium flame for about 1 minute. Add salt and red chilli powder to taste.
- Remove from flame and let it cool down a little bit.
- Add this tempering to the yoghurt/curd mixed rice and mix well.
- Add in the roasted/fried peanuts, chopped avocado and chopped coriander and serve cold.
Hope you enjoyed these amazing recipes for curd Rice Tadka! For more amazing recipes head over to our Foodism website to our food recipe blog!