The original University of Nancy was started in 1572 in the city of Pont-à-Mousson by a duke of Lorraine named Charles III and the Cardinal of Lorraine at that time named Charles. Later on, it was transferred to Nancy in 1768. Revolutionaries closed it in 1793 but it was reopened in 1864.
At the time being, the University of Nancy merged Nancy, Lorraine’s three main institutes of higher education in 2009. Later on, they were combined to be the University of Lorraine. The three main institutes are as follows:
Also known as Nancy 1, this institute focused on five faculties namely science and technology, medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, and sports. It has three engineering schools which are Telecom Nancy, ESSTIN (École supérieure des sciences et technologies de l’ingénieur de Nancy ), and ENSTIB (École Nationale Supérieure des Technologies et Industries du Bois). It has three institutes of technology as well which are Nancy-Brabois, Longwy, and St Dié. Lastly, they have the Institute for Teacher Training (IUFM).
There is a total of 44 laboratories within the university linked to prominent research organizations in France which are the CNRS (Centre national de la recherche scientifique), INSERM (Institut national de la santé et de la recherche médicale), INRA (Institut national de la recherche agronomique), and INRIA (Institut national de recherche en informatique et en automatique).
Nancy 2 is home to 22 Bachelor’s degrees and 32 masters degrees. It has 7 different faculties including “Knowledge of Man” (Psychology); Foreign Languages and Cultures; Arts, Science of Languages (Linguistics); Historical and Geographic Sciences, Musicolog; Faculty of Law; Economic and Management Sciences; and I.T. and Mathematics.
It also houses 8 institutes namely European University Centre (CEU), Commercial Institute of Nancy (ICN), Superior Institute of Administration and Management (ISAM-IAE Nancy), Institute for Preparation for General Administration (IPAG), European Institute of Cinema and Audiovisual (IECA), Regional Institute of Work (IRT), University Institute of Epinal (Hubert Curien), and University Institute of Technology Nancy (Charlemagne).
It houses a total of 7 engineering schools namely: École nationale supérieure des Mines de Nancy for general engineering, École nationale supérieure des industries chimiques for chemistry, École nationale supérieure d’agronomie et des industries alimentaires for agricultural engineering, École européenne d’ingénieurs en génie des matériaux, École nationale supérieure d’électricité et de mécanique for electrical and mechanical engineering, École nationale supérieure de géologie, and École nationale supérieure en génie des systèmes industriels.
Currently, the University of Nancy system has over 50,000 students. They are the fifth university with the largest student population in France. They have many academic libraries and the one in Nancy 2 was even opened by Albert Lebrun, one of the French presidents. It has over 500,000 documents and almost half of them are books.